Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years and resolutions

My future 'step-sister-in-law' wrote a beautiful note about the new year on facebook. The viewpoint is perfect for one of the problems in making your new years resolutions stick... Especially for working out and maintaining a healthy diet.

HAPPY NEW DAY. (my take on New Years) by Ashley George
"IT'S A NEW YEAR.
You know, I think we give each year a lot more credit than they're worth. What about all the days in between?
So many people decide once a year that they'll make resolutions. Stop smoking, lose weight, clean out the closet, journal, etc.
What happens after a few months? Well, a lot of times, the dedicated few can stick with it. I admire that. BUT, so many people end up not being able to keep their commitment, often times leading to disappointment in themselves. Am I wrong?
Why is it that ONCE A YEAR, we decide to set our bigger goals? Then we get sidetracked, lose focus, and then feel like we need to wait again until December the 31st to start over? It's like the person who says "I'll start that project on Sunday". Why not start the project on a Wednesday? What's wrong with all the Tuesdays or Fridays?
Why not celebrate the coming of a new month? What about a new week? What about a new DAY?!
What if we all started off each day saying "Okay, TODAY I'm going to really work on complimenting other people." or "TODAY I'm going to keep every promise I make.", "TODAY I will take 20 minutes to relax".
For a couple years, i have refused to say happy new year. I try my very best to acknowledge new days. Yeah I fail at that pretty often, but I don't have to wait any longer than 24 hours for the next one.
Waiting 24 hours for a fresh start instead of 12 months? Sounds good to meeeeee.

--Just some food for thought =]


"THIS is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!!"
-Psalm 118:24

[Oh look, I just noticed the verse is 24. hahaha that made me happy.]



HAPPY NEW DAYYYYY!!!!
:D"

So what's my point with this? She's right, and it applies to every area of your life. You can't make changes if you don't make a dedication to those changes DAILY. Saying you are going to get fit in the new year; lose those 20 extra pounds and go for a run at least once a week at the new year doesn't help you with the daily grind. As she points out, lots of people struggle to stick to their resolutions then decide it can wait until the new year. I beg you - don't let that person be you! Make your resolutions a daily goal-setting practice. Before you go to bed tell yourself that tomorrow you will do your first workout. Remember, you don't need a gym membership! There are lots of ways to get in a workout without ever going to a gym and it's easy to start small. I have several websites I use to help me stay on course with my workouts because I really dislike going to the gym and working out with all sorts of strangers around. If you aren't ready for some of my workouts start with something simple - do 20 jumping jacks, 20 crunches, 20 squats, 20 lunges, and 20 modified pushups 2-5 times through. It's easy to do that and it's a start towards your goals. Go for a long walk or a short jog. Go outside and play a sport with your children (or, if they're younger, go chase them around for a little while, trust me, that's an excellent workout!). So start your working out today - it's a new day. Then do it again tomorrow. If your resolutions are small and manageable and you can start over every 24 hours, you'll build healthy habits and it's not so hard to keep up!

I wish you all a happy new year, and a happy new day. Lets make 2011 a year of daily resolutions to be healthier and fitter. I know you can make that happen for yourself.

-Katie

1 comment:

  1. did I ever mentions 'mini workouts'?
    Try coming up with an exercise for each room that you have to do a certain number of reps before you can proceed! Right now I'm doing 5 pull up on my new iron gym every time I walk into the computer room. trust me, THATS adding up! :)

    ReplyDelete