Monday, January 17, 2011

YOGA!!!

I love working out and I love many, many forms of exercise including yoga, pilates, walking, running (ok, only sometimes!), interval training, sports, biking and hiking... I'm sure I can think of many more as well. Yoga is definitely at the top of my list of things I like to do. While practicing yoga you learn balance - not just physical, but also emotional and spiritual - strength, patience, flexibility, endurance, and self-love. Many times even the most complete workout doesn't provide ALL of those components.
think it doesn't take strength and balance for these poses? think again! try chair pose (below). too easy? Add a a twist!


You may be asking about your regular workouts. 'Why would I want to do such a sedentary workout?' Is probably a question many of you are asking. First of all, anyone who has ever done hot yoga will tell you that there is nothing quite as exhausting as a class of set hatha yoga moves in a 100+ degree Fahrenheit room. I encourage you to try adding yoga to your workout to round it out. If you are taking rest days (which you should be doing) try making them a little more active with a vinyasa flow yoga class. You will get some awesome cardio in a really low impact, stress free, non-competitive environment. If you are a super competitive person, especially in your workouts, this is even better for you. There is no place for competition in your yoga practice. Many of the poses are such that you must listen to your body and many people, myself included, HAVE to do modifications to the poses.


Some of you will LOVE yoga to the point that you ask; 'Should I quit them and just do yoga exclusively?' The answer is completely with you. I can't tell you what your body needs, or what is going to work best for you and your complete health. It's important to stay active, but a healthy 'diet' of yoga and frequent walks was what kept me healthy and balanced in the last year of my masters degree. That time period was arguably the healthiest I have ever been. I experienced a lot fewer colds and flus, I was better able to manage the stress of multiple performances, the 'thesis' project (program notes and orals on those notes), and packing up to move back to California.


One more benefit of yoga. the way you look (looking at yourself) while doing downward facing dog. I feel SO confident about myself when I see how I look in that pose. Why? my abs, legs and arms are engaging, showing off muscle tone!


I forgot to mention this: Yoga is great for all people at all stages of their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment